Please disseminate the following information regarding Perfect Contrition widely.
With the increasing difficulty for individuals to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation due to the current health crisis, the faithful of the Diocese of Scranton are reminded that by having perfect contrition one can receive the forgiveness of sins, apart from going to confession.
Perfect contrition requires the following three things:
- A love of God above all else
- A sincere desire for the forgiveness from sin
- The resolution to go to confession as soon as possible when this health crisis subsides
His Holiness, Pope Francis, has also granted a plenary indulgence under specific conditions.
The faithful who qualify for a plenary indulgence during the coronavirus pandemic:
- Those suffering from the coronavirus illness
- Health care workers, family members, and others caring for those with the coronavirus (exposing themselves to the virus)
The faithful must do at least one of the following:
- Unite yourself spiritually through the media in the celebration of the Holy Mass
- Recite the Rosary
- Pious practice of the Way of the Cross (or other forms of devotion)
- Recite the Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, and a Hail Mary
The faithful must be willing to perform all of the following as soon as possible: (considered the three usual conditions for a plenary indulgence)
- Going to Confession
- Receiving Holy Communion
- Praying for the intentions of Pope Francis